Text Size:  A  A  A


The answers to frequently asked questions below are general in nature and do not modify the terms of their respective Plans. You should refer to the related Summary Plan Description for more specific information regarding each Fund's Plan.

Top Frequently Asked Questions

When are contributions due and are there penalties for late contributions?

The due dates for contributions are determined by the CBA and/or the supplemental Trust Acceptance Document (TAD). Generally contributions are made  on a monthly or weekly basis.  Contributions must be timely made to the Fund after the work period as described in the CBA/TAD or by the default dates indicated in the guidebook if no due date has been specified.  An explanation of these due dates may be found in the Employer Contributions & Collections Guidebook.

 There are penalties for late or underpaid contributions.  The Guidebook has a full explanation of how delinquencies (late payments and/or shortages) are determined, including how interest is charged

Are separate reports required for contributions to each Fund, e.g., one for Health & Welfare, one for Pension, one for Annuity?

No.  If the CBA calls for contributions to more than one of the National Funds for each covered employee, all employees being paid the same ‘rate group’ should be included on one report.  

Can multiple rate groups be included on the same report?

No.  Each rate group and the employees subject to them, respectively, must be on a separate report.

How should the contribution check be made out? Do I need to do a separate check for each Fund?

It is not necessary to submit a separate check for each Fund. A single check for the full amount of the contributions set forth on the remittance reports may be made out to the IATSE National Benefit Funds whether for one or multiple Funds.  The check amount must, however, match the amount being reported.  

To what address should contribution check(s) and remittance report(s) be sent?

Contribution checks with accompanying reports should be sent to the Employer Contribution lockbox at:  


IATSE National Benefit Funds, P.O. Box 11944, Newark, NJ 07101-4944.

If an amount is overpaid or submitted in error on a remittance report, can a credit be taken on a future report/payment?

No, the Funds do not allow credits.  ALL REMITTANCE REPORTS SUBMITTED MUST BE PAID IN FULL.  For mistaken payments or overpayments, a refund may be requested by written demand to the Fund Office.  For more information please refer to the Employer Contributions and Collections Guidebook.

Can employee salary deferral payments be submitted on behalf of employees electing to do so?

If there is language allowing for deferrals in the underlying CBA AND the criteria is met allowing for deferrals as set forth by the IATSE National Annuity Fund (only), deferrals can be accepted upon the Fund’s receipt of the required employee authorization form.  Such form is required for EACH employer for which such employee performs covered work. More information is described in the Employer Contributions and Collections Guidebook as well as the IATSE Annuity Fund Summary Plan Description booklet.

Why are we required to report actual days worked when reporting to the Pension Fund, even if our rate is not based on a daily rate?

The number of days worked is necessary in determining both pension and vesting credits regardless of the contribution rate.  You must report full salary amounts, in addition to days worked, for all employees whose contribution rate group is based on a percentage of salary. The number of days worked for which you are required to make a contribution determines a participant’s vesting service in  the Pension Plan as well as the amount of benefit they have earned at their time of retirement.   Salary is required due to IRS required monitoring.


In addition, you are required to report all employees full salary amounts to monitor numerous  IRS limits, such as Highly Compensated Employees, IRC 401(17)(a), etc., as required by the IRS for the Annuity Fund.   All remittance reports with annuity contributions must contain full salary, and if applicable, the salary on which you are basing the contributions if different from the full salary. 

Why does the work location need to be reported?

Besides often helping to confirm that the correct contribution rate has been submitted, the work location is needed for tax purposes, most specifically the different tax requirements for work performed in Puerto Rico.

Can contributions be accepted after a CBA has expired?

Yes.  When a CBA and full Trust Acceptance Document is in place, the Funds Office will continue to accept contributions under the expired CBA at the same contribution rate required at the time the CBA expired until such time as there is a successor CBA OR if both parties to the agreement advise the Funds in writing that the bargaining unit covered by the CBA is no longer covered. 


* Note that the Funds will continue to contact the parties for a new CBA each time contributions are received after the current CBA has expired.  In that respect, the bargaining parties are required to advise the Funds’ Contracts Department of any extension to which they have agreed during the time of negotiations for a successor CBA.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12